Autumn is upon us! (Already?!?)
So what does that mean for Floristry? Well normally people think of Autumn as the last hurrah before winter kicks in and starts to get cooler (here's hoping!), but we’ve drawn together some Autumn Flowers that will be great additions to your bouquet this Autumn on the Gold Coast.
Autumn is a transeasonal period that can be difficult for many plants and gardens. Bright blooms get less as trees start to lose their leaves and flowers settle down waiting for spring. Australian Autumn varies dramatically depending on your location, but on the Gold Coast it provides us with fantastic blue skied days, with a sprinkle of cool breezes leading into Winter.
Given our slightly warmer climate in the Queensland Region, we get some awesome Flowers heading into Autumn.
Here are 5 flowers that you'll be able to see popping up in our Autumn Arrangements!
- Dahlias add vibrancy to gardens from summer and your bouquets until frosts arrive and are great for arrangements. Dahlias flower in a myriad of colours, shapes and sizes from late summer to autumn. They are by far one of our favourite flowers with their stunning geometric patterns and variability.
- Camellias, beginning to flower in late summer but hit the gas in autumn. Pink or white, single or double, the flowers stand out against those deep green evergreen leaves and foliage that we love to include in our bouquets and will be something to admire in your bouquet.
- For the traditional lover of Flowers, Modern roses ( varieties bred after 1867) produce flushes of flowers from spring to autumn and come in a wonderful assortment of colours and sizes. We're buying local Roses - have you read all about them? Click here to learn more.
- Chrysanthemums (Affectionately known as Chrissies or Mums) is a herbaceous perennial grown for its bold and colourful autumn flowers in purple, pink, yellow, bronze and white. Enjoy armfuls in vases right through autumn. These fantastic and hardy flowers are a simple accompaniment in our bouquets, but last throughout the Autumn Period.
- Asters such as Aster novi-belgii fill gardens, bouquets (and our hearts) with no-fuss autumn flowers in blue, mauve, pink or white. Varieties grow from 30cm to almost 1m tall and are filled with vibrant colouring schemes.