I've just had my flowers delivered, what now?
If your flowers came in plastic, remove this as soon as possible.
Avoid placing flower arrangements in windowsills and other areas with full sun where flowers can wilt due to overheating.
Keep fresh flowers away from drafts and extreme temperatures, which can quickly dry out the flowers and cause wilting.
Do not place your arrangement near fruit or in the path of cigarette smoke. The ethylene gas is detrimental to many flower types.
Most flowers will last longer under cool conditions.
How To Keep Your Flowers Looking Fresh
- Keep your vase filled with water! All flower and foliage stems should be submerged. Flowers stay fresher, longer when they can get a drink!
- If your flowers came in a basket or other container with foam, add fresh water every day.
- Immediately remove dead or wilting leaves and stems from fresh flower arrangements.
- Watch your water. When it gets cloudy it’s time to change it out. Changing the water every 2-3 days is best!
Changing The Water In Your Flower Arrangement
- First remove any dead or dying flowers from the arrangement.
- After carefully removing the good flowers, clean the vase thoroughly with soapy water to remove any bacteria that could cause the fresh flowers to deteriorate even quicker. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Replace the water and mix in the flower preservative provided by your florist, according to the instructions on the packet.
- For best results, cut stems with a sharp knife at an angle about one to two inches from the bottom. This allows them to better absorb water. Do not use scissors to cut your flowers because they can crush the stems and prevent water absorption.
- Place loose stems or wrapped bouquets of fresh flowers in your water mixture as soon as possible.
- Unfortunately our flowers don't last forever, after you've finished with your arrangement, be sure to wash your vase/container very thoroughly in hot soapy water, or better yet, in your dishwasher.
I have dried/preserved flowers, what do I do?
- While Dried Flowers look great and last a lot longer than normal flowers, they still need love and care just like everything else!
- Do not water! - Save that for your fresh flowers!
- Handle with care as dried flowers are delicate and may fall apart if handled too much or too often!
- Keep out of direct sunlight, wind and away from humidity where possible.
- Over time, dried flowers and foliage will naturally fade in colour.
- Preserved flowers and foliage are another option that we offer at Flowers Gold Coast. Preserved Flowers (depending on the type) have undergone a process which replaces the sap with glycerine.
- Preserved flowers retain their natural touch and colours and last between 1-3 years (or longer in a sealed casing). Just like dried flowers, to care for these gorgeous arrangements, handle with care and ensure you keep it away from the heat and humidity!